Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A World of Magic?

To you, my lone reader, I apologize for the awfully long delay in posts. But I am back, and intend to be a better "blogger"!

I was reading an article the other day, written by a Catholic mother. She was talking about her reasons for banning her teenage children from reading the Harry Potter series. They were the same reasons that she never allowed her children to watch Disney movies, or Clifford; the same reasons she never encouraged her children to read "The Alphabet Tree" or the "Kissing Hand" or any Dr. Seuss book...they weren't allowed because they were magical. And I don't just mean the waving wands and casting spells kind of magical; but she banned all that wasn't "real, tangible, daily life".

I have to say that I so disagree. Personally, I'm not sure that I want to live in world stripped of magic. Magic really isn't so bad...I think it lets us escape from the stress and restraints of "Real Life." It allows us to envision that our lives could be something more. Magic teaches us to dream, and to find joy and excitement all around us. Why would we want to take this away?

I couldn't help but to think of my future children. Already I stock pile the favorite children's cartoons and movies from my own childhood to enliven that of my future children. I desire a life full of magic for them...and this doesn't mean that I expect witchcraft and the occult... But that I want my children to know, for at least that blessed time of youth, a world where children can fly to Never, Never Land. A world where all you need is "faith, trust, and just a little pinch of pixie dust." I want them to celebrate a world where pumpkins turn into carriages, and where every girl is a princess and every young boy a hero. I hope that they find friends in Clifford the Big Red Dog, Garfield, Mickey Mouse, and every other character that will being laughter and joy to their dreams. I want them to have fun imagining Willie Wonka's chocolate factory, Beauty and the Beast's Enchanted Castle, and arctic islands where penguins communicate with humans in the form of dance. Let them believe that animals can speak and that their toys come to life while they sleep.

And as teens, I hope they do pick up and read the Harry Potter series. Not because it is full of spells and trolls, but because it is the story of teenagers (on the verge of adulthood) who set out on a journey to defeat evil through good. I want the voice of Albus Dumbledore to echo through their ears, "Sooner or later, we must all make the choice between what is right and what is easy." I want them to read about how important it was for Harry, Ron, and Hermoine to study, practice, and learn to accomplish their goals. I want them to strive for the solid and healthy friendships the three nurtured. I want them to believe that they can stand for and accomplish something great. And I want them to learn the lesson that Harry learned... that life is less about power and control; and more about lending yourself to the good...and valuing love and friendship above all else.

The time to be an adult, with the weight of the world on their shoulders will be far greater than the few precious years of youth. Why not fill those years with magic and imagination; dreaming and joy? My wish, my prayer, for my future children is a world FULL of magic...dream on...

No comments:

Post a Comment